For low income families that have an incapacitated loved one residing in Ft. Bend County (Needville, Sugar Land, Missouri City, Rosenberg, Richmond, Fulshear, and Stafford) and it’s been determined that guardianship is the only alternative to ensuring the protection and well-being of the individual (also known as the ward), the guardianship financial assistance program is available. Qualifications for this program:
1. Potential ward and guardian must reside in Ft. Bend County (Needville, Sugar Land, Missouri City, Rosenberg, Richmond, and Stafford, Texas)
2. Potential ward must be at least 17 years and 6 months of age
3. Potential ward must be totally incapacitated – verification required by a licensed medical doctor. If diagnosis is an intellectual disability, verification can be done by a licensed psychologist that conducts the intellectual disability assessments.
4. Income eligibility – The financial assistance program can help families that are up to 250% above the poverty level. This is a sliding scale fee program. If your total family income is 125% above the poverty level or less, you may qualify for full assistance because of our partnership with Fort Bend Lawyers Care. If your income is between 126% to 250%, you may qualify for partial assistance. Click on the image below for an income guideline to see if you might qualify. You will be required to provide provide proof of income.
5. Only seeking guardianship of the person. The financial assistance program in not able to help with guardianship of the estate cases.
6. Potential guardianship must be non-contested. This means that no one will object to the potential guardian becoming the guardian of the ward.
7. Potential guardian must attend one of the Information Sessions described above.